The ability to work remotely is becoming more prominent in many businesses. If you can keep your productivity up, working from home can be very rewarding. It is a great alternative to sitting at a desk all day, every day – and can work well when you have a midday appointment. Whether you work remotely on a regular basis or as a work perk, here are some tips to keep you on track while you are working from home.
Seven Tips for Working From Home
- Establish a morning routine. Decide what time you are going to start work each morning and make sure you are at your working space ready to go by then. Whether this means you start work after you make a cup of coffee, go for a jog, or get out of your pajamas – create a morning routine that ends with you starting to work.
- Have a dedicated office space. Dedicate a desk and some peripherals only for work use. One example PCMag.com gives is “when your laptop is hooked up to the monitor and external keyboard, it is work time. When it is on your lap, that is personal time.” One of the perks of working remotely is being able to create a personalized work area that fits your lifestyle and needs. Make your environment is cozy, yet productive.
- Set a schedule. It is very important for work-from-home employees to have a schedule and stick to it. This will help you maintain a healthy work-life balance. At the end of the day, you need to close the computer and leave work behind as you would if you were leaving an office. Success.com suggests developing a phrase you say to yourself at the end of the day to signal to your mind that it is time to stop thinking about work.
- Leave home. While having the luxury of working from your sofa all day can be great, you still need to break up the day and get out of the house. Make sure you are still taking a full hour lunch break and even if you are eating at home, consider going to a different room and stepping away from your computer.
- Overcommunicate with coworkers. Make sure you tell everyone who needs to know about your schedule and availability often. When you complete a task, say something. Co-workers cannot see you working so you need to make sure they know you are completing your tasks in a timely manner.
- Make time for facetime. Working remotely can be isolating. Make time to socialize with your colleagues whenever you can whether this is in person, over facetime, or on a chat system. If you are able to attend a meeting, show up over Facetime or in person and make your presence known.
- Take advantage of working from home. Working remotely comes with many unique perks that you would not have in an office. Throw in a load of laundry, take a break and wash the dishes, just make sure you do not let your side tasks get out of hand.
- Utilize our answering service to route calls to various off-site employees!
Speaking of Being Productive… We Can Help
Catalyst Communications is a live virtual receptionist servicing your business as a workforce multiplier. In our fast-paced world, prospective clients and customers want quick answers, efficient response time, and reliable service. Let our operators serve as your live answering, custom call center, SMS messenger, and everything in between. Catalyst puts the front desk in your pocket. Our services empower you to focus on business execution while we set the stage for you to line up business.
Our services can be especially valuable for a company that has mostly remote-based employees. Our operators can set expectations for when someone will be responding and also pass along information to the proper people.